Skip to main content

Precipitation

The weather was rather nice yesterday and I was able to get up in the air in the afternoon. The flight was pretty uneventful, essentially another jaunt up to the north and back. There were two things that were a bit different from the norm.

First, on the way back to Harvey Field, I ran at full power. I've done full power runs before; it's a part of the break-in process for an overhauled engine. And I did another good long one yesterday. I was doing a bit better than 110 knots on the airspeed indicator, and that's with the built-in calibrator for true airspeed set for the temperature and altitude so it should be pretty close to what I was actually doing. Yep, still not a fast plane, but I still think the roomy cabin and large fuel capacity make up for that.

Second, as I was flying back to Harvey, I decided not to straight back but rather to take a quick detour off to the east to prolong my full-power run. I turned east, then headed back north for a bit. I saw a couple of clouds that appeared to be dropping some precipitation. It appeared to be virga, which is rain that evaporates before it reaches the ground. I decided to fly over to one of those clouds and check it out. When I got closer, I could see that at least some of it was reaching the ground, which makes sense as the temperature was in the low 40s on the ground, and near freezing at my altitude. I decided to fly through the edge of it because flying through a bit of rain is a cool experience.

Except it wasn't rain, which I should've realized would be the case given the temperature. When I reached the edge, and saw what was striking the windshield, I realized it was snow, or at least mixed snow and rain. It wasn't heavy at all; I had deliberately flown to the left edge and not straight through, so there wasn't any real danger. Even if I had flown straight through, since it was just one cloud and not a very large one, It would have taken me maybe 30 seconds to get through it. But I decided to play it very safe and turned left to leave the area under the cloud. I was there for maybe 10 seconds. Still, it was cool to see it coming at me and hitting the windshield.

And this got me thinking a bit last night about flying, well, about being in any kind of vehicle when it's moving at speed. You know you're moving fast, but the sensation of motion is missing because you're in an enclosed cabin. It's the same when in a car or other road vehicle, but you're going at least twice as fast in an airplane. And yet the windshield and the rest of the cabin structure shields you from the wind so the sensation of movement is very muted. That's one thing that sets riding a motorcycle apart. Because you're out in the air, you really feel how fast you're going in a way you can't in an enclosed vehicle. When you drive or fly through precipitation, especially when it's more opaque as it is when snowing, that brings some of that sensation of motion back. You don't feel it, but you see it. And it gives you a better sense of just how fast you're going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

Flying when you must

The previous post was titled "Flying when you can." Today the weather was so nice that there was no question about whether or not I'd go up. Today is Saturday, and if you have weather this nice on the weekend, at this time of year, you can't not go flying if it's at all possible. I'll probably go tomorrow, too. I hope so. With the work that was done during and after the annual inspection, my plane is finally fully functional. As far as I know, everything on it works. The intercom is even behaving itself, with a distinct lack of loud static during the last couple of flights. The shop didn't say if they did anything specific to fix it but either they did when I last asked them to take a look at it, or it's somehow sorted itself out. Hopefully it will work just fine, at least until I decide to replace the audio panel with one that has the intercom built in. As noted above, the weather today was absolutely gorgeous. I flew north out of Harvey Field up past

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.