Skip to main content

She flies again!

It's been a long and sometimes difficult road to get to this point but today I flew Ariel for the first time since last March.

It is difficult to describe the emotions I felt after I stopped in front of the hangar and shut her down after the flight. I about broke down crying. I've waited for this for so long, and had to deal with so many frustrating setbacks that it sometimes felt like I'd never fly her again.

Following the instructions from Preston, I flew her for half an hour at 3000' feet over the airport in case something went wrong. I ran the engine at 75% power (maybe a bit more, but that's okay) for as much of the flight as I could. The engine started right up, and I thought it sounded better than it had before. It seemed smoother, somehow. When I took off, I had one notch of flaps in, and she flew off the runway on her own without me having to pull back on the yoke. It was as if she was eager to get back into the sky.

The flight was completely uneventful, as we always hope the first flight after major maintenance will be. I flew for the half hour, then performed a powered descent to pattern altitude to keep the RPMs up as much as possible. I made a pretty good landing, then taxied back to the hanger, shut down, and put her away.

Preston will take her back to the shop and open up the cowl to see if everything is still good. They'll check for leaks, and make sure nothing worked its way loose. Once that's done, I'll fly it the same way I did today for 20 to 25 hours. I'll be monitoring oil use, and the idea is that break in should be done once the rate at which the engine consumes oil stabilizes. It's running mineral oil for break in. Once break in is complete, we'll switch to normal aviation engine oil.

I originally intended to fly it yesterday. I had my flight review yesterday and I planned to fly my plane after I was done flying the rental plane with the instructor. However, after that flight, I realized I was too tired for me to be comfortable flying anymore so I did it today instead. I'm really glad I made that decision. Assuming a flight yesterday would have gone as well as it did today, I probably would have been okay to fly. But you can never know how a flight is going to go and if something had gone wrong, that fatigue could have slowed my reaction time and affected my decision-making ability. I wasn't going to take that chance.

I probably won't be able to fly again until after the 15th of December. I'm going out of town for a week starting this coming Thursday. After that, though, I'm taking pretty much the rest of the month off of work. Weather permitting, I should be able to get some good flying time in.

Here are some photos I took. I know my wings are really dirty. The shop will wash her after they're done checking her out after this flight.










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

Flying when you must

The previous post was titled "Flying when you can." Today the weather was so nice that there was no question about whether or not I'd go up. Today is Saturday, and if you have weather this nice on the weekend, at this time of year, you can't not go flying if it's at all possible. I'll probably go tomorrow, too. I hope so. With the work that was done during and after the annual inspection, my plane is finally fully functional. As far as I know, everything on it works. The intercom is even behaving itself, with a distinct lack of loud static during the last couple of flights. The shop didn't say if they did anything specific to fix it but either they did when I last asked them to take a look at it, or it's somehow sorted itself out. Hopefully it will work just fine, at least until I decide to replace the audio panel with one that has the intercom built in. As noted above, the weather today was absolutely gorgeous. I flew north out of Harvey Field up past

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.