Skip to main content

So close I can almost taste the avgas....

It's been another week, and it's still almost done. Why isn't it completely done? Because the replacement nose wheel arrived and turned out to be the wrong one. It's too small.

I don't have all of the details. As near as I can tell, the most likely reason is that the illustrated parts catalog for my plane, or IPC for short, has two different wheel assemblies listed on the same page. This is because the IPC covers more than just my airplane. I use the word "assembly" because the wheel is in two halves, and there are other parts like the bolts that hold those halves together, the bearings, etc. I suspect that whoever Preston was talking to thought he meant the smaller of the two and that's the part numbers Preston was told to obtain.

To add to my confusion, my POH notes that there are two different tire sizes that my plane can have. My plane has the larger size, but the original equipment list says it came with the smaller size. The most likely explanation I can think of for that is that it did originally have the smaller tires, but that Beechcraft installed the larger tires at the same time they upgraded the engine to the O-360. With that larger engine came a larger propeller and the larger tires provide more ground clearance for the prop.

Thing is, as far as I can tell, both size of tire used the same wheel. It is only the outer diameter of the tire that is different: 15 inches vs. 17.5 inches. Both mount on a wheel six inches in diameter. The smaller wheel in the IPC is five inches in diameter and I'm assuming that's the one that was sent to the shop.

I went out to the shop this past Saturday and they had put the new tube and tire on the old wheel, and mounted the wheel on the nose gear so they could at least have it on the landing gear and move it around. When I arrived, the mechanic was just about done connecting everything. All that was left was to re-install the front seats and put the cowl back on. He was hoping to have it running later that afternoon. I haven't heard yet whether or not he did, but I may call tomorrow and find out. They had also received the new clear cover for the landing light and installed it, replacing the old one which was cloudy and yellow. The cover for the taxi light on the right wing wasn't replaced, but it's not as critical, and isn't in as poor a condition as this one was.


In the mean time, Preston's trying to figure out what's going on and get a wheel of the right size. Hopefully one can be found and delivered quickly. It would be really nice if I could have my plane back this week, though the weather has been mostly cloudy with some rain. Though there have been a couple of periods the last couple of days where it was nice enough to fly around the pattern, which is what I'll be doing on the first flight just in case something goes sideways and I need to land.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.

Flying when you must

The previous post was titled "Flying when you can." Today the weather was so nice that there was no question about whether or not I'd go up. Today is Saturday, and if you have weather this nice on the weekend, at this time of year, you can't not go flying if it's at all possible. I'll probably go tomorrow, too. I hope so. With the work that was done during and after the annual inspection, my plane is finally fully functional. As far as I know, everything on it works. The intercom is even behaving itself, with a distinct lack of loud static during the last couple of flights. The shop didn't say if they did anything specific to fix it but either they did when I last asked them to take a look at it, or it's somehow sorted itself out. Hopefully it will work just fine, at least until I decide to replace the audio panel with one that has the intercom built in. As noted above, the weather today was absolutely gorgeous. I flew north out of Harvey Field up past