Skip to main content

The process begins

I obtained quotes from several shops, including a couple of the more well-known ones. Preston, the shop manager at Snohomish Flying Service, obtained a quote from his preferred shop. He was confident that it would be a better price than I would get anywhere else. Well, it would appear he was correct. And, not only is the quoted price the best of all of them, the projected lead time is the best as well. Assuming all goes well, I could be back in the air a good month and a half earlier than I would with another shop.

Currently, the world of piston general aviation is experiencing a dramatic shortage of new cylinders. The shops I got quotes from all stated that they did not have any new cylinders and that they would only be able to use overhauled cylinders. While overhauled cylinders are always an option, and the engine should be just fine if they were used, every recommendation I've heard or read is to use new cylinders if possible. I've been truly fortunate in that, without going into detail, I've been able to source new cylinders. I would have used overhauled cylinders if required, or course, but I'm tremendously glad and grateful that new cylinders will be available for this.

The next step, as you'd expect, is for the shop to bring the airplane in, remove the engine, crate it up, and ship it down to the shop. As I noted in my previous post, the possibility exists that the engine will only require a repair and not a full overhaul. Once the overhaul shop has a chance to pull the engine apart and inspect it, they'll let us know what condition it's in. If repair is possible, and once I know just what will be involved as well as the cost, I'll decide whether to go with a repair, or go ahead and do an overhaul anyway.

I'm still emotionally mixed about this. My main concern is the amount of money I'm about to spend on this. Any plans I had for upgrading the airplane, for example adding a GPS navigator and electronic instruments, will have to be postponed, possibly indefinitely. And despite the current state of the used aircraft market, this isn't going to increase the value of my plane by the same amount as it's going to cost. It will certainly be worth more than it is right now with known engine issues, but I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to sell it afterward for as much as I'll have in it if I add up the purchase price and what I'm about to spend, not to mention the other non-routine maintenance costs over the past year.

On the positive side, I almost certainly will never have to worry about getting close to TBO for as long as I own the plane. Even if I put 100 hours a year on it, that will still give me 20 years and, to be honest, I'll be lucky if I'm still flying by then. While I'm not what you would call an old man, I'm certainly not young and it wouldn't surprise me if by that time I'm unable to renew my class 3 medical certificate.

Should that time ever come, though, I'll just sell this plane and get something that qualifies as a light sport aircraft so all I will need is a driver's license. But hopefully that's relatively far in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Night flying

The rate of posting on this here weblog continues to be slow. I guess that's what happens when nothing's really happening. I've been flying, but my flights have all been uneventful, in that nothing unexpected happened. The engine continues to start quickly and run well. The replacement sump valve in the port fuel tank no longer has that sealant coming out of it. Fuel doesn't flow out of it much faster than it did the old valve, though it is a bit faster. At least it's clean. I received the invoice for my oil change. I had assumed they had cut open the oil filter and looked for metal, and also assumed that they didn't find anything that was concerning or else they would have told me. The invoice had the description of the work and notes which said they found no metal at all in the oil filter. This is, of course, very good news. I actually expected some metal from break in so it exceeded those expectations. One thing I did do that was noteworthy was my most recent

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

First Oil Change

It's been a while since my last post here. I've been flying, but the flights have been intended simply to put time on the plane and most have been pretty uneventful. However, the last two flight have been particularly nice because my wife came with me. I had enough hours on the engine that I felt I could trust it enough to take a passenger. I've now put over 25 hours on the engine since the overhaul and it's time for its first oil change. That was just completed, and the Aeroshell mineral oil used for break-in has been replaced with Phillips XC ashless-dispersant oil. The plan is to run it another 25 hours, at which point we'll change the oil again. At that time, we'll send a sample to Blackstone for analysis, and I will also resume adding Camguard. I also had the shop take care of a few other squawks while they had it in. The biggest of these is its tendency to pull to the left in the air and on the ground. I suspected that it was due to the nosewheel centering