Skip to main content

A difficult post

After the last oil change which we did at about 13 hours, the oil analysis showed that the amount of iron had decreased further and it was looking like it was a "one and done" incident. Per my mechanic's recommendation, I flew it for 25 hours before the next oil change.

That oil change was just performed... and the news is not good at all. This time, a considerable amount of metal was found in the suction filter screen and the oil filter. There was enough there that my mechanic grounded the plane. The decision has been made: the engine is coming off and will likely need to be overhauled. While it is possible that the engine only has to be repaired (e.g. if the metal is from the camshaft and everything else, like the bearings, looks good), I'm acting on the assumption that an overhaul will happen.

My emotional state with respect to this development is complex. On one hand, I feel kind of sick to my stomach when I contemplate the cost I'm about to pay both in money and in down time. On the other hand, I'm kind of looking forward to the process and to breaking in a freshly overhauled engine. As with pretty much everything that has happened since I bought this plane, it will be a learning experience. I'm relieved in a way that there is no more ambiguity as to the condition of the engine. The process we followed worked as intended. It gave us the answer, even though it wasn't the one I wanted, and did so before the engine's operation was affected.

I'm in the process of obtaining quotes from several service centers. Preston, the shop manager, is getting a quote from his preferred overhaul shop. While price is a primary consideration, time is as well and I'd be willing to pay a bit more if it means getting back in the air sooner. I just need to temper my expectations around how long it will take. I'm looking at probably three months minimum.

In the meantime, I need to practice my skills. I'll be doing some desk-flying in Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane for sure. I'll probably go back to renting for the time being. I need to get signed off in the 172 again with an instructor as well. Although the FAA is fine with me just jumping into the plane and taking off, the rental firm isn't. I may get signed off in the 152 as well. This also means getting renter's insurance again.

Another option would be to get my taildragger endorsement, even if I end up never using it. It'll give me something to do and could come in handy in the future. I expect it will make me a better pilot if only because it'll be done in a plane that is probably more challenging to fly.

So now this blog will effectively transform from an account of flying my plane into an account of having my engine overhauled. I suspect I'm going to have a lot to write about.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear the news. I hope things move along at a good pace and I'll be interested to follow this next part of the journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

Night flying

The rate of posting on this here weblog continues to be slow. I guess that's what happens when nothing's really happening. I've been flying, but my flights have all been uneventful, in that nothing unexpected happened. The engine continues to start quickly and run well. The replacement sump valve in the port fuel tank no longer has that sealant coming out of it. Fuel doesn't flow out of it much faster than it did the old valve, though it is a bit faster. At least it's clean. I received the invoice for my oil change. I had assumed they had cut open the oil filter and looked for metal, and also assumed that they didn't find anything that was concerning or else they would have told me. The invoice had the description of the work and notes which said they found no metal at all in the oil filter. This is, of course, very good news. I actually expected some metal from break in so it exceeded those expectations. One thing I did do that was noteworthy was my most recent