Skip to main content

Little bits go bye-bye

I didn't mention it in my earlier post but, after I went flying with my father, I noticed that I was missing one of the cowl fasteners as I was putting the plane away. It's position is just in front of the windshield as it curves on the left side, and holds the cowl to the airframe. This is not uncommon with older planes like mine and isn't a big deal if it's only one or two since they're numerous enough to keep the cowl secure. Last week, a couple days before my flight to Willapa Harbor, I went out to the airport to see if I could get a replacement. I took a couple of pictures of the existing fasteners, and also took a couple of them out so I could take them with me over to the shop to serve as examples.

At issue is that there are a couple of different types on my plane. They are all of the camlock type; most have a single slot for use with a flathead screwdriver, but some of them have Phillips heads. Most have a small flange that they fit into, but a few have a larger flange. It was clear that the missing fastener had a larger flange. The hole in the cowl was clearly larger than it had been when manufactured so a larger flange had become necessary.

On that day, there weren't any mechanics on site, just the fellow working the front desk. He went through what they had and we think we found the right one, but the camlock fastener and the flange come separately and you can't just fit the camlock through the flange. There's a special pair of pliers that you need and he didn't know where it was. So I decided to wait until later. The flight to Willapa Harbor and back was made with the fastener missing.

Today I went out to the airport in the afternoon to try again. This time I looked a little closer and realized that most of the fasteners with a larger flange didn't actually have a larger flange. They had a washer between the flange and the cowl surface. There is one that actually has a larger flange but it's the only one I've observed. I also noticed that another camlock was missing, though the flange was still there and it is normal size. I took one of the others that has a washer, and the one with the actual larger flange, with me to the shop. Both of them also happen to have Phillips heads, as do the rest of those with washers.

This time, Preston the shop manager was there and he was able to set me up. He recommended I get new ones with Phillips heads. So I got one with a flange and one without, and he found a washer that would work. I borrowed his special pliers and walked back over to my hangar to install them, and replace the ones I had removed and taken with me.

The one with the washer went right in and appears to fit just great. It fits exactly the same as the one right next to it, which also has a washer. The other one, which I inserted into the existing flange, didn't fit as well. I was able to get it to lock, but it was really tight. I walked back over to the shop and let Preston know. He said I needed a larger one, so he gave me the next size up and I walked back over, removed the tight one, and installed the larger one. It fit perfectly. I took the small one and the pliers back to Preston, and then I was all done.

Sizing of these camlocks is pretty straightforward. All of the ones that hold the cowl to the fuselage are size 5, and the ones that hold the top half of the cowl to the bottom are size 6. He had originally given me two size 5 camlocks and the second one needed to be a 6. Now that I know that, I'll know what size to request if I need any in the future.

Here are the photos I took last week. The first is the one with the actual large flange and a Phillips head. The second is one with a normal flange and slot head that I unlocked. The third is the same as the second except it's locked.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

Night flying

The rate of posting on this here weblog continues to be slow. I guess that's what happens when nothing's really happening. I've been flying, but my flights have all been uneventful, in that nothing unexpected happened. The engine continues to start quickly and run well. The replacement sump valve in the port fuel tank no longer has that sealant coming out of it. Fuel doesn't flow out of it much faster than it did the old valve, though it is a bit faster. At least it's clean. I received the invoice for my oil change. I had assumed they had cut open the oil filter and looked for metal, and also assumed that they didn't find anything that was concerning or else they would have told me. The invoice had the description of the work and notes which said they found no metal at all in the oil filter. This is, of course, very good news. I actually expected some metal from break in so it exceeded those expectations. One thing I did do that was noteworthy was my most recent

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce