Skip to main content

Smoky skies

I flew again yesterday, and succeeded in putting over five hours on the engine between the two flights over the weekend. The next step is to check the oil and filter again for metal, and send an oil sample off for analysis. Assuming it's good enough to keep flying, and unless there's a reason not to, I will likely have analysis performed at each oil change. When an engine in the last quarter of it's TBO life, this is probably prudent.

If it's not good enough to keep flying, well I guess I'll have to make that decision I've been thinking a lot about. Fingers crossed that isn't the case.

But that's not really what I wanted to talk about. I didn't mention it yesterday but smoke from this year's wildfires has made its way west of the Cascades and there was a considerable amount of smoke in the air over the weekend. There is still some today but it appears to have improved somewhat. The smoke was particularly visible from the air. It wasn't so bad that it prevented VFR flying, but it was definitely something you had to keep an eye on. During yesterday's flight, I was heading toward one of the foothills and didn't see it clearly until I got within about five or six miles. Plenty of time to avoid it, but if I hadn't been paying attention, I could have ended up too close for comfort. Every flight teaches lessons and this was no exception.

Here are some photos from the two flights. The first four are from Saturday, the last two from Sunday.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approaching the annual

I know I haven't been posting much, but that's mainly because nothing much of note has been happening. I've been flying, but not really going anywhere in particular. The engine continues to run very well, and the plane is still solid. I was hoping to do more "destination" flying this year but, for whatever reason(s), it didn't really happen. Next year, hopefully.... On the horizon, though, is the annual inspection. It's already scheduled for mid-December, since the last annual is good to the end of that month. I've also arranged for it to be an owner-assisted annual. I'm told that every airplane owner should do this at least once and I can certainly understand why that is the case, even before I do it. I will be learning about my airplane in a way that nothing else will match and, incidentally, save some money at the same time. I'm looking forward to it. Leading up to the annual, I have been compiling a list of squawks that I want to take care ...

Not much going on right now

I've put about ten hours on the plane since I got it back from the shop last December. The weather has been generally poor so flying regularly hasn't been possible. For now, I'm focusing on putting time on the engine to continue breaking it in and get to the first oil change. Oil consumption has already dropped to normal, or near normal levels so it looks like break-in is going well so far. And that's pretty much it for now. I am looking forward to more regular VFR conditions as we move into spring and summer. I'm also looking forward to flying to other places for fly-ins and other get-togethers since I missed most of them last year.

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce...