Skip to main content

Pondering weighty (and expensive) questions

Nobody buys an airplane like mine because it makes financial sense. Airplanes are not investments. They will cost money, and you need to determine whether or not the experiences your plane will enable are worth the cost. I expect that, for many owners, there comes a time when they have to decide whether the ongoing and projected costs associated with their airplanes are worth it, or if they should sell them for what they can get.

I've been thinking about the report from the shop at Harvey that metal was found in my plane's engine oil filter. It is still in the shop, so I don't yet know the full results of any investigation, but I have to face the very real possibility that my engine will require major repair, major overhaul, or even replacement. And even if it's good to go for now, it still might require one of these quite a bit sooner than I expected.

In general, an engine like mine has a time-before-overhaul (TBOH) of 2000 hours. However, there are many factors which contribute to how long an engine will last before it's required. It's not just the total hours, but also the overall age, how it's used, how often it's run, what climate conditions it's kept in, and so on.

I don't have my engine log, as it's currently at the shop, so I don't know at this time how old that engine is. I'm pretty sure it's been overhauled at least once. I don't know if it started out as a brand new engine, a remanufactured engine, or even an overhauled engine. I won't go into a lot of detail but broadly here's what these mean:

  • A new engine is exactly that. It's a brand new engine built from all brand new parts by the manufacturer. In this case, Lycoming. Such an engine starts out at zero-time.
  • A remanufactured engine is an engine that has been rebuilt, with replacement of many parts, to a "new" condition by the manufacturer. Only the manufacturer can do this. Like a new engine, a remanufactured engine starts out at zero-time.
  • An overhauled engine is one where the required parts have been replaced, but it is not reset to zero-time. It's time since overhaul is reset, but the total time is not. I include this because Lycoming offers factory overhauled engines so it's possible that my engine was overhauled by Lycoming or another company and then installed right after, replacing the previous engine.

My engine has about 1600 hours since major overhaul (SMOH). However, I don't know the total time, nor how old it is. It's possible that it really is approaching end of life, at least in the current state. If so, then I'll need to make a decision.

The thing about aircraft engines like mine is that they are rather simple and unsophisticated, but they're also rather expensive. This is due to various factors, not least of which is the cost of complying with the regulatory regime. For a Lycoming O-360 like mine, you're looking at probably close to $20,000 to overhaul it, if not more. The cost also depends on a couple of other factors like whether you use overhauled cylinders or new ones. A factory remanufactured engine is more, and a new one is obviously the most expensive option.

Something I've learned is that, when it comes to a factory overhauled, remanufactured, or new engine, you might be able to offset the cost a bit by exchanging your old engine. This is similar to how it works with car batteries, alternators, and such. The idea is that Lycoming can use your old engine to build a factory overhauled or remanufactured engine. I haven't checked but it's possible that other companies that overhaul engines might exchange an engine they've overhauled for yours, rather than overhaul your engine and ship it back to you. This would allow for a quicker turnaround time and less time in the shop waiting for an engine.

So if it's time for me to spend some real money on my engine, what do I do? First of all I need to decide if it's worth it at all, or whether I should sell the plane for what I can get and then either get a different plane, or give up on aircraft ownership at least for a while. The thing is, my plane is otherwise in very good condition for its age and type. Ignoring potential engine issues, I got it for a pretty good price. If I spend the cash on a replacement engine, it will probably not be worth the total of what I paid for it plus the cost of the engine, but it will, I think, be worth more than what I paid for it at least. It's also pretty special for reasons I've explained in previous posts.

Based on what I currently know, I think what I would do is see if I can exchange this engine for either a factory overhauled engine from Lycoming, or an overhauled engine from another reputable outfit like Aircraft Power. I'm probably looking at over $20K but I do have the ability to pay that. It will hurt, but the end result will be an airplane that is likely good for at least another decade or more.

We'll have to see what the results are, though, of the investigation. My understanding is that they will refill the oil, run it for 20 to 30 minutes or so, then inspect the filter for any additional metal. If it's there, well it might be time to bite the bullet. If it's clear, then I'll fly it for five hours or so, then we'll check it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.