Skip to main content

Good news and... not so good news

My plane is in for its annual inspection and I just got off the phone with the shop manager. The good news is that they're making good progress on the plane, and both the landing light and trim tab piece arrived in time. I do need to take the books out to the shop, which I will do tomorrow afternoon.

The not so good news is that they found some metal in the oil. When I had the pre-buy inspection performed back in January, I had them change the oil as well. The note in the engine log book states that no metal was found in the filter. If metal is in the filter now, that indicates that some unexpected wear has occurred.

As far as I know, the engine has been running fine. So I have no real idea what might be causing this. Thinking about it, though, there is one potential cause, though it seems strange to me that it might be related.

Several flights ago, when I was performing the magneto check during the run-up, I accidentally turned the ignition switch one step too far and turned it completely off briefly. I immediately turned it back on and the engine restarted, but it seemed to, for lack of a better phrase, hit "hard". I suspect there was a bit of extra fuel in one or more cylinders due to fact that the mixture was not at lean cut-off like it would be during a normal shut-down. I suppose it's possible that there was an unusual amount of pressure in the cylinder for one cycle, and that may have caused some damage to the rings or the piston. I don't think it's likely but, while I have an excellent understanding of the operating principles of an internal combustion engine, I'm not an expert on this kind of thing.

The plan is to finish the inspection, and then run the engine for around five hours. Then we'll do another inspection of the oil filter to see if any more metal is ending up in it. If it looks okay, we'll do it again at around 25 hours, than again at 50.

The engine has close to 1600 hours since it was overhauled. It *should* be good for at least another 400 hours or more, but sometimes things happen and it doesn't last as long. We'll have to see how it goes. Obviously I hope that no major repair will be required, let alone an overhaul or replacement. That's when you start talking real money. If it comes to that, though, well, I knew that there was some risk in purchasing an airplane of this vintage, regardless of how well-maintained it's been and how good a condition it's in. I'll just have to deal with it as it comes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.