Skip to main content

Back in the sky

Yesterday, I spoke with the shop manager. The annual was finished and he'd signed off on it. There is a part they're waiting on, but it's not required and the plane is good to fly. He also wants me to fly it for at least five hours instead of two, after which they'll check the oil and filter again for metal. They will also send a sample out for oil analysis. I've never had an analysis done, but I've heard enough about what can be learned from one, especially when it comes to aircraft engines like mine, that I'm glad to have it done.

So today I took it up for over 2.5 hours. My goal is to put the 5+ hours or so on it this weekend, so they can take it right back into the shop to check the oil and collect the sample for analysis. Hopefully it will be clear of visible metal. If so, I'm assuming I'll keep flying it and wait for the analysis results. If not, then I'll see what the recommendation is and follow it.

As for today's flight, it ran great and flew great. It's so nice to hop into the plane and know that all those little things that were found during the pre-buy inspection, and those that have cropped up since, are all fixed. I'd like to go into a bit of detail about a couple of these.

  • The red cabin light intended for night use did not require a replacement bulb. It turns out that the wire that connects to the back of the rheostat in the center console had simply come loose. They soldered it back on and it works great.
  • The primer pump now requires virtually no effort. I was surprised at how easy it was to work it now that it's been properly lubricated. I was used to primer pumps requiring some effort, as has been the case in every plane I've ever flown. But now I think that I've never encountered a primer pump that has been freshly lubricated until now.

The elevator trim tab still requires painting; it is currently primer green. They will paint it when they take it back into the shop for the oil test. The part they're waiting on is a bushing for the pilot side yoke. It's a plastic piece that attaches to the panel where the yoke shaft goes through. The passenger side has one, but the pilot side does not. Instead, there's a piece of metal in it's place that looks like it's been there for years, if not decades. So the plane is perfectly flyable the way it is, but it does make some noise with metal moving against metal so we're going to put a new bushing on.

It was wonderful to get back in the air. I could tell that my skills were deteriorating a bit due to disuse, but it all came back pretty quick once I was in the plane again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce