Skip to main content

The heat is on

As I noted in my previous post, I went flying this past Saturday. What I neglected to include is that it was the hottest temperature that I've ever flown in. It was already 90 degrees Fahrenheit when I got to the airport. That's 32 Celsius for my metric-inclined readers.

I actually opened the POH and checked the performance numbers before I started my preflight inspection. I was already pretty confident that Ariel could do it with no problems, but I wanted to make extra sure. The book said it was okay, though the takeoff roll would be a hundred or so feet longer than in past flights, but Harvey Field has a long enough runway. In addition, I knew that I'd be about 350 lbs. below maximum weight, and the chart assumes you're at the max.

When I did take off, the plane performed just fine, and I had no problems clearing obstacles and making the noise-abatement turn that is requested when taking off from runway 33. In fact, the plane seemed to perform more or less normally, and I didn't notice much performance degradation. I'm sure it was there, and I always kept it in mind, but I didn't have any issues.

As I flew around, I was tuning in to various airports' automated weather systems to get altimeter settings. With it being as hot as it was, they were including the density altitude in the report. For the most part, it was about 2200' above field elevation. Not too bad, but it still makes a difference.

When I came in for landing, I knew that everything was going to be just a bit faster. When flying in the pattern, you want to be flying at specific airspeeds at different points in the pattern. That airspeed, however, is the indicated airspeed. It's determined essentially by the pressure of the air in the pitot tube. However, since the air is less dense when it's hot, that pressure is less for a given true airspeed. This means that the true airspeed will be higher when it's hot than when it's not.

Keeping that in mind, I did what I think was a better than normal (for me) job at managing my airspeed. This led to a rather nice landing, if I do say so myself. I've been working on making my landings more consistent, and "prettier", for lack of a better word. I think I've figured a couple of refinements to my technique, mainly around throttle control, that I think will improve them. If last Saturday was any indication, I'm on the right track.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Approaching the annual

I know I haven't been posting much, but that's mainly because nothing much of note has been happening. I've been flying, but not really going anywhere in particular. The engine continues to run very well, and the plane is still solid. I was hoping to do more "destination" flying this year but, for whatever reason(s), it didn't really happen. Next year, hopefully.... On the horizon, though, is the annual inspection. It's already scheduled for mid-December, since the last annual is good to the end of that month. I've also arranged for it to be an owner-assisted annual. I'm told that every airplane owner should do this at least once and I can certainly understand why that is the case, even before I do it. I will be learning about my airplane in a way that nothing else will match and, incidentally, save some money at the same time. I'm looking forward to it. Leading up to the annual, I have been compiling a list of squawks that I want to take care ...

Not much going on right now

I've put about ten hours on the plane since I got it back from the shop last December. The weather has been generally poor so flying regularly hasn't been possible. For now, I'm focusing on putting time on the engine to continue breaking it in and get to the first oil change. Oil consumption has already dropped to normal, or near normal levels so it looks like break-in is going well so far. And that's pretty much it for now. I am looking forward to more regular VFR conditions as we move into spring and summer. I'm also looking forward to flying to other places for fly-ins and other get-togethers since I missed most of them last year.

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce...