Skip to main content

Island hopping

One very positive aspect of being a pilot in the Puget Sound region is the existence of the San Juan Islands, as well as the other islands and coastal areas that make up the region. There are many airports, large and small, scattered throughout the islands and they make for fantastic flying opportunities. Today, I took advantage of that and made a flight out to Friday Harbor. The town of Friday Harbor is a picturesque community on San Juan Island, after which the archipelago is named. Friday Harbor Airport is a small, one runway airport located on the south side of the town.

I flew out there for a few reasons.

  • I'm hoping to take my wife out there, hopefully later this year, and stay a few nights. We took the ferry to Friday Harbor a few years ago and had a nice time. Flying there would, I think, make for a wonderful vacation. I wanted to scout out the route, so to speak, and see what the airport was like.
  • I wanted to practice talking with ATC and using flight following.
  • I wanted to fly out the islands as I haven't done so since becoming current again.

It was a lovely flight. My route headed north and then west, essentially skirting the Whidbey NAS class C airspace. I had originally planned to fly at 4500 ft. on the trip out. However, there were scattered clouds at 4500 ft. so I climbed to 6500 ft. On the way back I flew at 5500 ft. The view was superb. White puffy clouds and a clear blue sky above them. Much of the areas of the islands is forested with evergreens so there was a lot of green to contrast with the blue of the water. When the weather is nice like it was today, there are few places on this planet more beautiful.

The flight out went without incident. As I was approaching my cruising altitude, I contacted Whidbey approach and requested flight following. I was given a squawk code, and I acknowledged radar contact. After that I just monitored the frequency until I was about ten miles from Friday Harbor. At that point I contacted Whidbey and requested termination of flight following, then squawked VFR and tuned in the Friday Harbor CTAF. Actually, the CTAF frequency is for all of the San Juan Islands, which makes sense since there are several airports relatively close to each other.

I made my descent to the airport, then entered the pattern for runway 34. At Friday Harbor, the pattern is right traffic regardless of which runway is in use. I made a decent landing, exited the runway, then taxied back to the end of the runway to take off again. When taking off from runway 34, there is a noise abatement procedure where you fly runway heading until you reach 1100 ft. MSL, or have flown beyond the north edge of town, and then you can make a turn. I did so, then turned east for the flight back.

As with the outbound leg of the flight, I called Whidbey approach to get flight following. However, I didn't receive a response. I fiddled with the configuration of my comms, then called again. As before, there was no response. I could hear transmissions from Whidbey and other aircraft just fine. I decided that, for the time being at least, I would continue to monitor the approach frequency and continued my flight back to Harvey Field.

As I came within visual range of Harvey Field, I switch to the CTAF frequency and asked for a radio check. I got an immediate affirmative response. I descended, entered the pattern, and made another serviceable landing. Given that the wind had picked up and it was a bit gusty, I'll take it. Since my radio and comms system appeared to be working fine, I don't know why I never received a response from Whidbey approach.

As those of you who have read my earlier entries may recall, I'd been having an issue with my communication system. The primary issue was that I couldn't hear the radios over my headset, even though I could hear them over the cabin speaker. I recently did a couple of things that seem to have alleviated that problem and it's worked fine the past several flights. I turned up the volume on the radio itself in case it is some sort of squelch issue. Also, based on a suggestion I received from the shop manager at Harvey, I turned off the cabin speaker. The hypothesis behind this is that driving the speaker and the headphones is a bit too much for the amplifier in the audio panel and it was cutting off the headphones.

However, the first time I encountered any problem, it was that it appeared I wasn't transmitting voice. I was clearly transmitting carrier, as I could trigger Harvey's automated weather system by keying the mike four times, but it seemed my voice wasn't transmitting. That only happened once, at least as far as I know. I'm wondering if it happened again today. It's also possible that they were just busy, though traffic in the area was relatively light and they were responding to other VFR aircraft.

One other possibility that occurred to me is that it has to do with the position of my antenna. My plane has three antennae on the upper side of the fuselage. One is the ELT, and I'm assuming that the other two are for the two radios. I say "assuming" because I actually don't know (at least not yet) how the radios are wired into the antennae. As I understand, it's always the case that each radio has its own antenna. These two antennae on my plane are of different designs. One is located above the cabin, about where the rear seats are, and it is a solid metal rod that starts out vertical, then curves 90 degrees to point backward. The other antenna is located much further back, close to the tail, and is a more traditional straight antenna that is angled back. It is actually located to the rear of where the vertical stabilizer merges into the fuselage and is to the left of centerline. I don't know which antenna is connected to which radio. What I'm thinking might be the case (though I couldn't say how likely it is) is that the rearmost antenna is connected to comm1, and it is partially obscured by the vertical stabilizer on its right side. On the flight out, Whidbey NAS was to my left, on the flight back it was to the right. I'm wondering if my transmission was being attenuated by the vertical stabilizer enough so Whidbey couldn't read me. Of course, if comm1 is connected to the forward antenna, this wouldn't be the issue. I need to investigate this further.

All-in-all it was a lovely flight. The entire trip there and back took less than two hours, much faster than driving a car with the included ferry ride. I'm looking forward to flying to other airports in the islands, as well as on the mainland.

Here are some photos I took on the trip. I took an actual camera this time, as it is much easier to handle with one hand and has a high power optical zoom. It's an old camera that I've had for, gosh, about 20 years, but it takes reasonably good pictures.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

Night flying

The rate of posting on this here weblog continues to be slow. I guess that's what happens when nothing's really happening. I've been flying, but my flights have all been uneventful, in that nothing unexpected happened. The engine continues to start quickly and run well. The replacement sump valve in the port fuel tank no longer has that sealant coming out of it. Fuel doesn't flow out of it much faster than it did the old valve, though it is a bit faster. At least it's clean. I received the invoice for my oil change. I had assumed they had cut open the oil filter and looked for metal, and also assumed that they didn't find anything that was concerning or else they would have told me. The invoice had the description of the work and notes which said they found no metal at all in the oil filter. This is, of course, very good news. I actually expected some metal from break in so it exceeded those expectations. One thing I did do that was noteworthy was my most recent