Skip to main content

Registration

As with most other vehicles, an airplane must be registered with the government. Unlike most other vehicles, it has to be registered with the federal government in the form of the Federal Aviation Administration. I haven't checked what the requirements in other states are, but in Washington, you must also register it with the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT).

Starting with the state, the cost to register my airplane was $65. This is comparable to registering a car, at least if you don't live in the area of western Washington subject to the additional fees for building the light rail system. Fortunately, I live outside that area, but that's a topic for another blog. Basically, I went up to the WSDOT website and filled out the form saying I now own the plane. A few days later, I received an email that the plane had been added to my account. Finally, I went to the website again and paid the fee using my credit card. The previous owner said that the WSDOT employee that he had dealt with when he bought the plane had called him to confirm that he'd sold it to me. The aviation department of WSDOT is apparently pretty small so you get to know the people there.

When it comes to the FAA, the cost to register the plane was a whopping $5. The previous owner and I filled out a relatively simple bill of sale form that the FAA provides, and I then filled out the registration form. I sent both to the FAA along with a check. I'm hoping in the future that the registration can be paid online via credit card as I really don't like sending checks in the mail. Yesterday, while looking at my transaction list on my bank's website, I noticed that the check had posted. The online registry shows the plane is still registered to the previous owner but I'm assuming it will be updated eventually.

And that's pretty much it. It's a little more involved than registering a car, but pretty straightforward. And it's not terribly expensive either. Most of the income, at least at the state level, is derived from fuel taxes. Washington used to require that pilots register with the state and pay a fee, regardless of whether or not they owned an aircraft, but they don't anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.