Skip to main content

Getting it all fixed

I called up the shop today and put in a work order to get most of the outstanding issues taken care of. Most of these are minor, but a couple are relatively major. The plane is currently airworthy, or else I wouldn't have flown it a few times since purchasing it, but it's time to get the big ones taken care of. I might as well have the other items addressed as well.

The items I've asked them to work on include:

  • Investigating the issues I've experienced with the comms system. This is probably the most important as it most affects flight safety.
  • Replacing the left half of the stabilator trim tab. It has a crack in the underside near the outside end of the tab. It's been there a while, as it's been stop-drilled a couple times, but it has lengthened to the point where it should be replaced sooner rather than later.
  • Re-attaching the wing root seal on the right side. On the underside of the wing, the seal has come loose along part of its length. It's still attached at the front and rear, so it's not flopping around loose, and it doesn't appear to be coming out any more after flying it a couple times, but it should be re-attached. Depending on its condition, I may have the seal replaced altogether.
  • Re-attach a section of the honeycomb material that lines portions of the aft fuselage interior. I'm not sure what it's purpose is, but it's probably to reduce noise. A section has come partially loose and just needs to be glued back in place.
  • Fix the cabin interior light. This is the red-colored light for flying at night. We don't know if it just needs a new bulb or if the problem is with the potentiometer or something else in that circuit. Hopefully it's just a bulb.
  • Push the pilot's door hinge pin back into place. The door has a single, full-length hinge with a long metal rod acting as the pin. It has slipped down and protrudes from the bottom of the hinge by about an inch. Should be a simple fix. I tried tapping it back into place myself with a small hammer but it didn't move much, if at all, so I'll let the experts handle it.
  • Clean up a couple of the inspection panel covers. They have a bit of corrosion on them but all they need is to be cleaned up and repainted.

They're pretty backed up with work, which isn't surprising as they maintain the rental fleet, which is used by the flight school as well as regular renters. The manager did say he may have time to go over to the plane and do some investigation of the comms issue so hopefully that can be done soon. The rest of the stuff won't prevent me from flying, and even the comm problem can be worked around, especially when I get my handheld radio. But I'm hoping this can all be addressed within the next several weeks so it's all done before the spring and summer.

I knew going into this that this plane, given its age, would require this kind of maintenance work. That's one of the reasons why it was as relatively inexpensive as it was. But I've decided that this plane is worth the time and money, as long as the cost doesn't explode. But I don't think that will happen as it has been well maintained, and it's been well inspected. It's a risk, but it's a calculated one. This plane is special, at least to me, and I want to keep it in good condition. It's special not only because it's my first plane, but because it has a unique history and character and I want to preserve it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh tarmac

The runway at Harvey Field is in the process of being resurfaced. So far they've removed all of the old asphalt, graded the dirt surface, and hopefully laid down the first layer of the new asphalt. I received an email the other day stating that they were scheduled to lay the first layer yesterday, and lay the second layer today. However, that would depend on the weather and it's been raining today. Once the second layer is in place, they have to wait at least three days to paint the runway markings. There are also a couple other things that need to be done. In all, the completion date is likely to be no earlier than October 10. I went flying the weekend before last. The grass runway was open, and folks were taking off to the north, so I joined them. I was a bit too aggressive on the takeoff when it came to my soft-field technique, as the stall horn sounded as I lifted off. I think next time I take off from the grass, I'll leave the flaps all the way up, instead of down one

Thwarted

The plane is done being fixed again. Well, for the most part, but I'll get to that. The vacuum pump had indeed failed, so they replaced it. They also replaced the starboard fuel sump drain valve. Interestingly, I received an email yesterday from the shop with an invoice attached. It was for a credit to my account, which they gave me because they drained the fuel from the right tank. The invoice notes that 16 gallons were removed. The tank's capacity is almost 30 gallons, and I had filled it almost full on Sunday before my flight. So either they didn't credit me for all of the fuel in the tank, or it had continued to leak and had lost about 12 or so gallons over the course of a few days. I don't know which, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went out today to put some Camguard in the oil, run the engine, and possibly even go for a flight if the weather was nice enough. The grass runway and temporary taxiway are open so limited flight operations can proce

My engine is so pretty

I went out to the shop today to take a few pictures of my engine and plane before the engine is remounted. The baffling and some other stuff has already been attached to the engine. The engine mount is not back yet. Since the nose gear is attached to the engine mount, the plane is currently sitting on the main gear, and a couple of supports just behind the firewall, and under the tail. Here are a few of the photos I took. The engine looks lovely, to me at any rate, especially since I know those are new cylinders.